Thursday, January 10, 2008

Killraven by Arline Chase

Intrigue and Romance on the Chesapeake Bay in the 1890's,

I know Arline Chase and I think she's a wonderful woman and publisher. But, I'd never read any of her writing until we were in a chat together.

I love books set in places I know little about and set in the past, so Killraven was the perfect choice. It's set along the Chesapeake Bay in the late 1890's. I was hooked from the first pages and had a hard time putting it down.

From the beginning, I felt like I was walking along the docks and riding along the oyster shell roads with Hope and DeCoursey. These two couldn't be more different, but we all know that opposites attract. She had a strict religious upbringing and DeCoursey is a scoundrel. The question is whether he's as bad as the rumors the local gossips spread about him.

My favorite books make you feel that you're part of the story and that the characters are your friends. I had that feeling right away and I worried about Hope who had left her family and community. Even with the rumors about Coursey, I wanted him to find peace with his past and possibly to find love.

Arline Chase's book simply oozes with atmosphere and drew me in from the beginning. She weaves a variety of interesting and memorable characters into the story and gives us vivid details of their home, their community and their lives. Killraven had humor, dread, fear, suspense, murder, robbery, love, friendship and so much more. I would recommend this book and especially to people who enjoy a historic mystery with a bit of romance.

For more information, visit -
http://www.amazon.com/Killraven-Arline-Chase/dp/1594311374/nikkileighaut-20


No comments: