Sunday, February 10, 2008

Rhett Butler's People

I've read a bunch of the reviews complaining about this book. But, I have to tell you, I really enjoyed it. I love to read things which are (for the most part) historically correct. I like to learn about a specific time and place when I read a historic novel and I learned quite a bit in Rhett Butler's People. One of my future novels will have a blockade runner and I learned some interesting details while I was being entertained.

I really enjoyed Gone With the Wind, but Rhett was my favorite character and there were so many unanswered questions about him. Certainly, there are a million possibilities for his story, but I enjoyed this take on the story. I think the author did a wonderful job of tying the stories together and maintaining the characters and setting.

It was nice to get to know Rhett's family and Bell's family. I did have a little trouble with the story jumping around in the first few chapters, but once I got into it -- I really enjoyed it. It was also nice how the author tied pieces of the story to Gone With the Wind, but it was redundant.

All in all, I think the book was very well done and I am now digging Jacob's Ladder off my shelf to read soon.


No comments: